Have questions about AMEX Travel Insurance?
Find the answers that you’re
It is recommended that you carefully review your provincial health plan coverage. Provincial plans do not cover everything once you leave your home province/territory and typically cover only a limited portion once you leave the country. In fact, the Government of Canada urges all Canadians to purchase supplemental health insurance when leaving the country.
Travelling Outside of Canada
If you get sick or injured while abroad, out-of-country health care can be costly, and your provincial health plan may not cover any medical expenses abroad.
Travelling within Canada
While there is some cost sharing that is done among provinces, it is important to note that the reimbursement of the actual procedure may vary in every province.
There could also be significant delays in receiving reimbursements by the appropriate provincial ministries which could result in significant out-of-pocket expenses.
An accident, illness or emergency can happen anywhere. If you need medical care in another country, your provincial health plan may pay only a portion of the costs. Travel Medical Insurance can pay for the eligible expenses above and beyond your provincial health plan.
- With emergency medical coverage, you have access to the multilingual representatives of Global Excel Management Inc. (Global Excel) travel emergency network.
- Global Excel representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Whenever possible, Global Excel will also request for the medical service provider within the network to bill the covered medical expenses directly to the insurance provider instead of you.
Your American Express® Card may cover you with certain benefits related to travel, such as:
- Travel Emergency Assistance2
- Travel Accident Insurance3†
- Flight and Baggage Delay Insurance4†
- Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance5†
- Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance6†
It is recommended that you carefully review the travel insurance coverage that your American Express® Card provides. If your Card includes these benefits, you may still seek to increase the level of coverage to suit your individual travelling needs.
There are various sports that are not covered during your trip, all of which are described in more detail under the General Exclusions section of the Certificate of Insurance.
Coverage can be extended by calling the Insurer at 1-866-616-0532 before your existing coverage expires. Your request will be approved provided no event has occurred that would give rise to a claim under the insurance and you request an extension before coverage for your trip terminates. If an event has occurred that would give rise to a claim, the extension of your insurance is subject to the approval of the Insurer.
Note: The total number of days outside your province or territory may not exceed 183 consecutive days or the maximum allowable number of days in your province or territory of residence.
A trip can represent a significant investment. Plus, if you are like most people, you will likely book your trip well in advance. A lot can happen in the time between your first trip-related purchase and your departure date. If a medical emergency or other unfortunate event prevents you from going on your trip, you may lose some (or possibly all) of the money you paid.
With trip cancellation and interruption insurance, you can be covered when a specified situation prevents you from travelling as planned.
- You can’t travel due to an illness, job loss or immediate family member’s medical emergency
- You need to return home earlier than scheduled because of a family emergency or medical condition
Please read the Certificate of Insurance documents below for the details:
- Ultimate Travel & Medical
- Select Travel
- Essential Travel & Medical
- Basic Travel & Medical
- Quebec Distribution Guide
Note: It is recommended that you purchase this insurance at the time you pay your initial travel deposit.
Not all events are covered. Trip Cancellation coverage will refund prepaid, non-refundable payments or deposits if you have to cancel for a covered reason. Covered reasons include: sudden and unforeseen medical emergencies, if your home is made uninhabitable by fire, flood, burglary, vandalism or natural disaster, hijacking or quarantine. For a complete list, please refer to the Certificate of Insurance or contact Global Excel Management, Inc. (Global Excel)
It is strongly recommended that you do. Your insurance policy is a valuable source of information and contains provisions that may limit or exclude coverage. Please read it before you go, keep it in a safe place and carry it with you when you travel.
Global Excel Management Inc. offers a 24-hour assistance hotline. Experienced multilingual associates can provide you with immediate access to information and direction. They can help you with your travel emergencies. Call Global Excel Management Inc. at 1-844-780-0501 (Toll Free – Canada and the U.S.) or
+(819) 780-0501(Collect – Elsewhere).
Generally speaking, no. While your age can affect the type of coverage you can buy, AMEX Travel Insurance has packages and plans that cover all age groups. If you are age 60 or older, you may be asked to answer a few questions about your health to ensure you have the appropriate coverage available.
Possibly, depending on your age and your condition. Pre-existing medical conditions are covered if they are stable for a certain time period (as specified in your policy) before your policy’s effective date. Please call the Enrollment Centre at 1-866-587-1029 to discuss with an agent.
Your answers to the health questions (if applicable) will place you into one of five categories and form part of your insurance policy.
When answering the health questions:
- Be sure to take your time. The health questions may take up to 10 minutes to complete
- Only you (the applicant) can complete and sign the health questions form. Please read each question carefully as incorrect answers can lead to your coverage being void and any claim will not be paid.
- Have your prescriptions or a description of your medication nearby for reference.
- Please review the answers you have provided to the health questions to confirm that they are correct.
- If you are unsure about any questions regarding your medical condition or medications, please speak to your physician or contact the enrollment centre at 1-866-616-0532.